Ahhhh ramen. You’re so easy to make. You’re filling, salty and $.39 a package. But oh boy are you bad for me. So why do I keep eating you? I think I’m going to give you up and trade you in for healthy ramen… but how do I make healthy ramen?!?!
- Throw out the seasoning package – it has almost 1,000mg of sodium (aka salt) – a typical serving of potato chips has 350 – 500mg. YUCK!
- Boil low-sodium chicken or veggie broth in the microwave and add the noodles to that. Eat it like soup or pasta!
- Add other seasoning: cayenne pepper, curry powder, garlic powder, italian seasoning, anything that is an herb and salt-free.
- Mix in veggies (mushrooms, spinach, celery, carrots, peas, etc.), chopped chicken, fresh herbs, seitan/tofu, chopped nuts, apples, pre-cooked chicken/turkey sausage, turkey bacon, hard-boiled eggs AND fresh onion & garlic (great for colds)
Here are Mama O’Neill’s Top 5 Ramen Recipes:
- Italian Wedding Soup: Cooked ramen in 1/2 veggie broth, 1/2 water. Sprinkle dried oregano, basil, and garlic powder. Add 1/4 cup chopped baby spinach or broccoli rabe. Crumble pre-cooked italian chicken or turkey sausage. Add red pepper flakes and grated parmesan to make it gourmet!
- Mama’s Chicken Noodle Soup: Boil low sodium chicken broth in microwave with 2 tablespoons fresh chopped onion, 1 clove of fresh pressed/chopped garlic, 1/4 cup chopped celery and carrots. Add ramen, fresh chopped parsley or dill, chopped roasted chicken and a pinch of salt & pepper. Mix until soft.
- Apple Cinnamon Noodles: Cook ramen in 1/2 water and 1/2 apple juice. Stir in chopped (skins removed) apples, then let sit for 3 minutes and strain. Add a teaspoon of Earth’s Balance “butter”, a dash of cinnamon and ground cloves, and a pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Cobb Noodles: Cook ramen in 1/2 veggie broth, 1/2 water. Add chopped spinach for 1 minute and then strain. Chop 6 cherry tomatoes, 1/2 hardboiled egg, cooked turkey bacon and roasted chicken. Mix together then add 1/2 chopped avocado and dressing* and mix well. *Dressing: 1 tablespoon avocado oil, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, pinch of garlic salt and a pinch of black pepper.
- Indian Veggie Soup: Add chopped seitan/tofu, mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, green beans, frozen corn and veggie broth to a microwave-safe bowl and bring to boil in microwave. Stir in ramen and season with a dash of cumin and curry powder. Add a pinch of cayenne powder, salt & pepper. Stir all together.